Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Valentine's Day

I know I'm a little late on the Valentine's Day post.
 
But I've had a sinus infection and we've been having snow-mageddon in TN.
 
No for real,
TN has declared a state of emergency because first we had an ice storm, then it kept snowing.
 
(Can you tell where the road is?)
 
So all the beautiful snow you see, has at least an inch of ice underneath.  Then you add in all the hills and "hollers" of TN and you have some pretty scary road situations.
 
On a happy note, due to our snow-mageddon, we have enjoyed a snow week. 
 
Not just a snow day,
but 4 snow days in a row, we were already out Monday for President's Day.
 
Anyways.  Back to Valentine's Day.  Not the real Valentine's Day, that was on a Saturday this year, but we celebrated on Friday instead!
 
And we started off our awesome Valentine's Day with...Spiderman!
 

Because you can't have Valentine's Day without Spiderman right?
 
Haha, just kidding.
 
Spiderman was actually supposed to make an appearance on this little guy's birthday last month.  But we had a snow day.  So we rescheduled for Valentine's Day because I figured this was going to be a wild and crazy day anyway, might as well add a superhero.


I really thought my kids would go wild.
 
But I think they were in shock when he walked in.
 
Then they finally warmed up to him and told him how much they liked his movies, asked questions about the movies, and asked about Mary Jane.
 
Then we made these fun marshmallow dipped treats.
 
I got the idea on Pinterest here.
 
These are so super simple.
 
All you need are:
- marshmallows (I went with pink ones)
- sprinkles
- Wilton's Candy melts (I used vanilla)
- and some lollipop sticks (or whatever else you have)
- oh, wax paper is a big help too


All I did was heat up the candy melts in the microwave, stick the marshmallows on the lollipop sticks, and label the wax paper so I would remember whose treats were whose.

I called my students back by tables, showed an example of what to do, and let them go for it.
 






Then we let them dry while we went to lunch.


The treats laying crosswise were my examples.  I shared a few with other teachers and then ate two myself.


And then what did I do with all that extra candy melt?
 
Ate it of course!
 
Just kidding.


I actually had so many left over marshmallows and candy melt, that I donated them to my teacher friend across the hall, so that her kids could make marshmallow treats too.
 
They really were super easy!
 
I just called the kids back while they were doing independent work.
 



Yep, they enjoyed them!


We played in centers before parents arrived for our party.
 
So a few early bird parents and I helped the kids pass out their valentines.
 
I learned this trick a few years ago.
 
We would spend all of our party time passing out valentines, and there was no time to enjoy them or do any extra fun stuff.  Plus it was a madhouse with 20 kids trying to pass out their valentines at once.
 
So a few years ago, my kindergarten team and I decided to set all the valentine's boxes out at each student's desk and then call up 2-3 kids at a time to pass out valentines while the rest played in centers.  This way, you can spend your party time, we only get 30 min, enjoying and looking through the valentines, and doing other fun stuff. 
 
Because lets face it, most of my kids have trouble reading each other's names.  Several of mine could, so I let them pass out their valentines all on their own.  But others needed help, so my parent volunteers and I helped them read the names.
 
I didn't get a picture of the passing out though.
 
Then it was party time!


We kept this party simple.
 
All I asked for were plates and napkins, capri-sons, un-frosted cupcakes, frosting, and sprinkles.


I have a wonderful parent volunteer who called a few kids over at a time to my reading table and helped them decorate their cupcakes while the rest of the students looked through their valentine boxes.



I always love looking at the valentine boxes. 
 
Some are store bought, some are homemade, and some were probably forgotten about until the night before or the morning of the party (like the tissue box in the picture below)


And then others are just plain adorable!

 
Hope you had a happy Valentine's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment