Friday, March 27, 2015

Disney's Princess Half Marathon 2015 - Part 2

Okay, mini Disney vacay is over.
Time for the race.
2am wakeup call!

I waited until the last minute to decide what I wanted to wear.
It was between Elsa again and the Cheshire Cat.

I decided to give Elsa another try, with a new shirt, since I didn't really have any race photos in it from Wine and Dine Half Marathon.
At 9pm the night before the race, my mom and I realized that we had forgotten to pick up our bracelets to get into the race retreat.
The race retreat is an extra you can purchase.  It gives you access to the race retreat before and after the race. 
Which means the before the race, you get -
-Food - I usually have a bagel and grab a PowerAde.  But I was not feeling well that morning at all.  So I ate nothing.
-An indoor place to sit or rest
-Separate bathrooms/porta potties
-character pictures
-separate bag check
After the race you get -
-Food - this time it's a hot breakfast - eggs, potatoes, etc.
-Massages - extra charge for this but so worth it
-character pictures
-separate bathrooms
-a gift - in the past its been princess flip flops, towel, etc
-a place to meet up with family or friends
-a place to check results - they have a live video feed of the finish line

 We were bummed, but there wasn't anything we could do about it right then.  But we did get up extra early in the morning and went down to the race retreat tent with our confirmation emails.
It was no big deal.  All we had to do was show our ID and they looked us up on the list.

I felt too sick to eat, but was glad to have a chair to sit on.
The beginning of this race was the worst so far.
Once again, I was having stomach issues and had a 99.8 temp when I left the hotel.  Seriously, I was having flashbacks to Wine and Dine Half.
But worse, my stomach was empty.
Standing in the corral, I was light headed and nauseous. As the first corrals were starting, I wasn't sure if I could make it.  So my plan was to get to the first medic tent and take myself off.  I was seriously worried that I would either start throwing up or collapse.  I started chewing Pepto tablets I had brought along with me.
My poor body, it was full of Pepto-Bismol, Immodium, and Tylenol.
I knew I needed something in my stomach, but didn't have any food on me, and had felt too sick to eat earlier.  Luckily I always run with a zillion things in my Sparkle Skirt's pockets.  And one of the things I always bring is a Cliff Shot.  They give these out at mile 8, but I always have one with me just in case. 
I'm so glad I had it.  I started slowing squeezing some into my mouth, a little at a time.  By the time I crossed the start line, I felt so much better!!
I love Cliff Shots, like Gu, you just squeeze them into your mouth and the gel dissolves.  The thought of chewing energy bites during a race does not appeal to me.  So this gel is perfect.
By mile 2, I felt great and started doing my normal run/walk intervals.


You can see my Powerade and my Cliff Shot in one hand, and my phone in the other ready to take castle pictures.
I ran the whole race with that Cliff Shot and squeezed a little in my mouth along the way.

Anna, Elsa, and Kristoff greeted us at the castle!

Which of course caused a huge back up in the castle.  But it was fine.

I was so glad when my feet started hurting because it wasn't my stomach.  And my feet always hurt when I run, so I was used to it.  I just couldn't believe how that little bit of Cliff Shot helped settle my stomach and give me the energy I needed to finish.

I love this poster!

"Costume watching' again!
I love this Lilo costume.

I was keeping up my run/walk intervals pretty well.  But it wasn't until we made this loop that I realized just how many people were behind me.



Almost there!

This is not my time.  Disney starts the clock when the elite runners take off.  I was in corral L, so I didn't cross the start line until almost an hour later.

Almost there!

I was so excited to finish!!
Can you tell?

The medic tent right across the finish line. 
All the people in the background are being taken care of medics.  So glad I didn't need to stop at one of these booths, but thankful they are there just in case.  And very thankful for the volunteers who take care of all of us runners!

After receiving my medal, I got sprinkled with pixie dust by a fairy godmother!

Back at the expo.
Grabbed some food and waited for my massage time.

Then we headed back to the hotel, clean up, took a nap, and went to the Magic Kingdom for some evening fast passes.

Mom finally got her Dole Whip!
I hear about these things all. year. long.

Leaving the Magic Kingdom.
Goodbye, until next year.

I had run out of Tylenol, so when we got back to the hotel I had to go buy some.  In the corner of the store there was this sign that you could sign if you participated in the Princess Half Weekend.  So mom wrote both of our names on there.

Bye Disney, its been magical!
Glass Slipper Challenge 2016, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment